TO OUR GOOD WORKS HOUSTON COMMUNITY
On behalf of the Board and Team, we thank you for your engagement and support of Good Works Houston. Together we are delivering sustainable, meaningful impact benefiting our Houston community.
In April 2016, nearly a year ago, Good Works Houston was unveiled at our Inaugural Social Innovation Summit to Houstonian thought leaders. The purpose was to convey the importance of social innovation as a valuable addition to solving Houston’s most pressing challenges.
Our keynote speakers, Teju Ravilochan (Founder of Unreasonable Institute) and Dr. Eagleman (Founder of the TV series, The Brain), passionately shared their perspectives that the core of humanity is empathy and the longing for purpose and meaning. Expansion of empathy to others and discovery of one’s purpose and meaning is our foundation at Good Works Houston.
Today, it’s truly remarkable the community we have fostered together based on that foundation. Our volunteer based organization with limited funds:
- Supported 16 impact ventures with a 5-day business model valuation run by The Unreasonable Institute,
- Hosted an impact investment summit for our city with internationally recognized impact leaders,
- Launched the Higher Education forum convening local universities to strengthen our entrepreneurship market, and
- Formed a public-private partnership with the University of Houston.
The track record is entirely due to the compassion and competent Houstonians who were committed to making our vision a reality.
We are so grateful for you embracing the idea to make Houston a global leader in social innovation by tackling our city’s challenges with sustainable, market-based solutions.
At the closure of 2016, we renewed our purpose and strategy. Good Works Houston’s mission is to help Houstonians in need by fostering innovative solutions tackling upward mobility challenges.
Our approach is to:
- Engage our community to understand and work together to tackle upward mobility challenges,
- Grow high impact social enterprises by providing access to valuable resources and
- Impact Houston by delivering measurable results empowering Houstonians in need.
IN THE NEWS
UHY recognizes Good Works Houston as A Charity of Choice
Announced in Houston Business Journal Dec 2016
I’m pleased to share that Good Works Houston will offer continuous and customized labs and workshops tailored to the stages of our impact ventures based on the valuable feedback from our 2016 cohort of impact ventures. Good Works Houston will offer programs beginning in April throughout October to:
- Idea to early stage ventures: open workshops and labs to develop knowledge and expertise necessary to launch a high growth social enterprise tackling upward mobility challenges facing Houston.
- High growth impact ventures: invitation to the 2017 Acceleration Program extended to 10 ventures who have the potential to empower 10,000 Houstonians.
Social entrepreneurs and founders of impact ventures should contact Ravi Brahmbhatt at email@example.com for more information.